Contact Gorvins today E-mail us at : Contact us today on : 0161 930 5117

There is a popular belief that couples who live together are ‘common law’ husband and wife, but in reality this legal status doesn’t exist. Cohabitation, living together without being married, is now a very popular arrangement with couples across the UK.

Unlike marriage and a civil partnership, cohabitation is not legislated for. This means that if the cohabitees happen to be home owners or joint parents, only general laws that relate to these issues can be applied. If you have assets or own property prior to your relationship you might want to think about how these will be dealt with if your relationship breaks down.

A cohabitation agreement enables you to make arrangements and clearly sets out where you stand legally if things don’t go quite towards plan. Our expert and experienced family solicitors have dealt with police forces for a number of decades, meaning they understand and have the knowledge to be able to deal with your issue sensitively and in the best way possible.

Our relationship over the years with police officers and police federation members means that we are a trusted law firm. If you would like to discuss a cohabitation or a dispute you are having, call our specialist solicitors on 0845 6347 999, e-mail or fill in our online contact form.

Contact your federation representative

  • Kerry Lees-Russell

    Senior Associate
    Family Law

    View profile
  • Nicola Fraser

    Partner & Head of Family
    Family Law

    View profile
  • Rachel Edwards Barrott

    Associate Solicitor
    Family Law

    View profile

What do our clients say?

  • I found Miss Fraser to be a super solicitor for me. She was very realistic... ...Graham Swain, Lancashire Police

  • Kerry made me feel valued as a client, always returned my calls and... ...Detective Constable, Nottinghamshire Police

  • The compassion, professionalism and understanding, that Nicola and her team at.. ...Police Officer, West Midlands Police

  • During one of the most upsetting and stressful times for myself and my... ...Police Officer from Kent Police

  • From the moment I met with Linzi I knew she could be trusted and wanted to... ...Police Officer from North Yorkshire

  • Linzi Perriman has been fantastic. Her advice and support has been... ...Police Officer from North Yorkshire

  • I met with Linzi Perriman in order to discuss my divorce. Linzi was extremely... ...Police Officer from South Yorkshire

  • Having found myself at what I can only describe as my wits end, I revisited... ...Police Officer from North Yorkshire

Read Full Testimonial

Let us contact you

What Police Law services do we offer


CAFCASS Case Increase – Cause for Concern?

The Children and Family Court Advisory Service experienced a 10% compared to last year in new ...

Read article


Divorce Centres Feeling The Strain

This time last year Bury St Edmunds Divorce Centre was created to centralise the divorce ...

Read article